I picked up 3 of these black frames at the charity shop, since I am not a big fan of black I decided to strip the paint off. Using a product called RemoveAll from Plascon, it works wonders on removing paint, make sure you have a wire brush, scraper and scouring pad handy for easy removal.
Once most of the paint was removed rubbed a candle on areas that I wanted to "expose" to give it that distressed look, I didn't go too crazy with the candle, just along some of the edges and corners, revealing some of the wood and some of the black paint that was still left on the frames.
I gave it two coats of craft paint, from the Creative Talents French Collection.
Once it was dry I sanded it with fine sand paper. The paint came off on the areas where the candle was rubbed, to give it that distressed look.
The frames had glass but no back board, my handy husband cut some hardboard to put at the back.
I think the frames look stunning, but I think it is the little faces in them that really make them!
I found this dressing table at a charity shop, and I could just picture it in my daughter's bedroom.
The wood was a bit damaged, with some deep dents and writing on it from the previous owner. Once I took it apart, my husband sanded all the wood surfaces with his handy "mouse sander" he managed to get most of the varnish off and most of the damage that was done. Because of the quality of the wood I decided not to us a stain, but rather paint over it, I used a water based pva, to paint all the wood surfaces white, it took a couple of layers and a bit of sanding in-between layers, but I am quite thrilled with the end result. (I did forget to take photos of the process.)
I spray painted the legs with a silver spray paint, it is called "super silver" it is a bit more of a matt silver. Once all the yellow paint was covered up, I added the little rubber feet.
The mirror was broken so I had to have a new one cut, it was also really out of balance, but handy hubby had a quick fix for it.
Our daughter is thrilled with the results, and when I look for her I find her in front of it doing her hair or trying on jewelry.
I found this basket for R15 at the charity shop in our area, I had to hold onto it tight, there were about 4 other ladies that would have grabbed it if i just thought of putting it down.
My Daughter absolutely loved these two dresses, and was so sad to get rid of them, I decided that since they will probably get passed on or donated, i might as well try turning them into skirts. It was quite easy (even for me an inexperienced sewer)
I simply cut the dresses under the arms, finished off the "cut" side with my overlocker, folded it over and sewed a "casing" for the elastic, added the elastic an done!
If you need details on how to make a skirt click here, otherwise there are tons of tutorials on skirts all over youtube and pinterest.
My Daughter was thrilled with the results and she can have another season or two with her favorites.