The wood was a bit damaged, with some deep dents and writing on it from the previous owner. Once I took it apart, my husband sanded all the wood surfaces with his handy "mouse sander" he managed to get most of the varnish off and most of the damage that was done. Because of the quality of the wood I decided not to us a stain, but rather paint over it, I used a water based pva, to paint all the wood surfaces white, it took a couple of layers and a bit of sanding in-between layers, but I am quite thrilled with the end result. (I did forget to take photos of the process.)
I spray painted the legs with a silver spray paint, it is called "super silver" it is a bit more of a matt silver. Once all the yellow paint was covered up, I added the little rubber feet.
The mirror was broken so I had to have a new one cut, it was also really out of balance, but handy hubby had a quick fix for it.
Our daughter is thrilled with the results, and when I look for her I find her in front of it doing her hair or trying on jewelry.